Rolling Release Model(s), Fedora Discussion

Fred Williams dukederf at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 16 17:09:51 UTC 2010

On 16 March 2010 16:59, John Austin <ja at jaa.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 08:58 -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> > On 03/16/2010 02:37 AM, John Austin wrote:
> > > I look forward to a clean start every six months
> > > 20 minute install - pleasure getting it back to how I like it !!
> > >
> > > John
> > >

> > Obviously you don't use your machine for anything resembling work.
> > I tend to wait for up to half a year past the new release for all the
> > bugs to be worked out. Radeon support, for instance, was nonexistent a
> > few releases back. And don't get me started on the toy version of KDE.
> >

> There is some truth in your statement re work however
> its easy to have separate partitions for each release
> as small as 20GB is OK, then on a 500GB disk you can keep
> 20 previous releases and boot them as required!
>
> /home, /global, ... on a Centos 5.4 server gives you the stability
> you desire.
>
> Yes I had problems with F12 nvidia and a few other things
> but in general Fedora supports the latest hardware and is almost
> always running smoothly in pretty quick time.
>
> The amount of effort put into each release always amazes me.
>
> If real stability was your aim then you wouldn't be using Fedora !
>
> John
>
> --

I beg to differ - out of all the distros I've tried, and am still trying
being a distro hopper, I've found overall Fedora to be the most stable when
using the latest release (without anything such as testing, rawhide or
similar enabled on any, where available)
Debian comes a close second, but only until you move up to Squeeze/Sid which
is when the trouble starts for me. Fedora is more stable than that.