Rolling Release Model(s), Fedora Discussion

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 08:55:11 UTC 2010

On 3/17/10, Ranjan Maitra <maitra at iastate.edu> wrote:

> There is one benefit (to me) to do an upgrade. That is because I often
> add rpms to check things out and these bring in all dependencies. Even
> if I remove these other rpms, I can not often keep track of all the
> dependencies that have come in (and are not needed for anything else
> that is installed). An upgrade cleanses my system of such unnecessary
> dependencies. Perhaps, it may be beneficial to have a notification which
> would provide notification of rpms that can be removed because they are
> only there as dependencies of rpms that are being removed. Of course,
> it would also be a nice feature to have a notification which lists rpms
> containing binaries, none of which have been used for the past (let us
> say) three or six months and provide the user with the option to remove
> it.

Perhaps you should check out these:

Name       : yum-plugin-show-leaves
           : and packages that became leaves after a transaction

Name       : yum-plugin-remove-with-leaves
           : an install but would not normally be removed. It helps to keep a
           : system clean of unused libraries and packages.

Disclaimer: I haven't used either.

Andras