Rolling Release Model(s), Fedora Discussion

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Mar 17 11:24:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 14:41 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> It used to be that *NIX supporters put the output from uptime in their
> e-mails, some of which were years.

I used to do that, though the maximum was about 3 months.  Usually not
because the computer crashed, or needed rebooting, but I used to fiddle
with the server computer rather than leave it alone.  Client boxes get
turned off, because I like the peace and quiet, and I'd be wasting
electricity.  Not to mention that in a hot country you really don't want
heat generating equipment on all the time.  But Fedora's not really the
system for long uptimes, anyway, with the rapid churn.

I wonder how many of us use UPSs?  I don't.  I've considered it, but
Linux hasn't been as self destructive with the drives as Windows was.  I
haven't noticed that files have gone missing.

And I've often wondered how suspended laptops calculate uptime, whether
they show the actual uptime, or include the suspended time.  I never get
around to checking.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686