Rolling Release Model(s), Fedora Discussion

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Wed Mar 17 13:35:00 UTC 2010

> On 3/17/10, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 03/16/2010 01:41 PM, Mike McCarty wrote:
> >> How times have changed. It used to be that *NIX supporters put
> >> the output from uptime in their e-mails, some of which were
> >> years. It was a symbol of how stable the releases were, and
> >> how stable the machines running them were.
> >>
> >> Now people "look forward" to their next reboot and even re install.
> >>
> >> It's an interesting social change, I guess.

Recently, I rebooted two servers that had 20 days shy of 3 years
of uptime:

 10:37:30 up 1075 days, 16:48,  1 user,  load average: 0.33, 0.30, 0.33

While interesting in the "uptime game", it really struck me that
we have finally achieved the same level of reliability/stability
using Linux on PC hardware as we have had previously with Solaris
on SPARC.

The real shock is these machines are running Fedora Core 2, which is
ancient/obsolete by today's standards.

--- Cris