Tell me proper URL for yum checking

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Mar 18 06:22:06 UTC 2010

MAKOTO SHIMADA wrote:
> Hi all
> I am using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (RHEL4), but have a problem which
> the Red Hat company does not support.  Since RHEL is a closely related
> with Fedora, I would like to ask your favor.
> I need to install yum on my RHEL4 workstation.
> I installed yum2.0.7, which appears to be succeeding in.
> Then I conducted “yum check-update” but got error messages as follows;
> --------------------
> # yum check-update
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Red Hat Linux 4WS - x86_64 - Base
> retrygrab() failed for:
>
> http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/4WS/x86_64/headers/header.info
>    Executing failover method
> failover: out of servers to try
> Error getting file
> http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/4WS/x86_64/headers/header.info
> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error >
> --------------------
> I understand that the URL may be wrong in the setting.  Even if so, I do
> not know what is proper URL.
> Please tell me proper setting.
>
> Followings are the current contents of
> /etc/yum.conf
>
> [main]
> cachedir=/var/cache/yum
> debuglevel=2
> logfile=/var/log/yum.log
> pkgpolicy=newest
> distroverpkg=redhat-release
> tolerant=1
> exactarch=1
>
> [base]
> name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - $basearch - Base
>
> baseurl=http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/
>
> [updates]
> name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - Updates
>
> baseurl=http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/updates/$releasever/

Exactly what are you trying to update via yum?  You can't update the
base packages of RHELv4 via yum since RH does not support yum at that
release level.  You need to use their "up2date".  Additionally, RH
requires a subscription to update.  In RHELv5 yum is used instead of
"up2date".  But, again, you need a subscription to update.

If you need the stability of RHEL, but don't/can't want to pay for a
subscription there is always the well known clone CentOS.

--
Those who can, do; those who can't, write. Those who can't write work
for the Bell Labs Record.