Rolling Release Model(s), Fedora Discussion

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Fri Mar 19 21:04:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:43:44 -0400 Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:37:25 -0600
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
> > It has a major disadvantage to the support team, of not being
> > able to "retire" a release from support.
>
> And how does someone describe their software that currently
> says something like "Works on fedora 12 or later"? :-).
>
> Maybe "Works on fedora if you have updated since Nov 10, 2009"

But if that capability is being provided by some other rpm (under a
different name), the rpm update could replace this one with the new
one. For a while, the new could work with the old command, with a
notice/warning to change your habits, and then the old could go away
completely in the next 6 months, let us say?

Of course, if the capability is not being provided, and there are
current users, I am not so comfortable with taking it out of Fedora.

Btw, I also was wondering if kernel updates could be split into two
parts: one requiring a reboot and the other not. Would bring us back to
those old *nix uptimes. Of course, it would be better if stuff was
picked up and installed pertaining to the hardware on an user's
machine, that would certainly cut down critical updates quite a bit at
an individual level, perhaps?

All this is utopian, maybe...

Ranjan