Charging USB devices with Fedora

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Mar 20 01:06:04 UTC 2010

> "On 04:14:53 am Ambrogio<fn050202 at interfree.it>  said"
>> >  Hi all,
>> >  I had 2 different MP3 player that require USB connection to recharging
>> >  it.
>> >  My problem is that I can't be able to charge them.
>> >  USB Connection is good, I can transfer data from and to the devices but
>> >  battery doesn't charge.
>> >  Searching on the web I found something about USB drivers required, or
>> >  about some echo to be done on special files.
>> >  I can't be able to done the job.
>> >  I have two Laptop, one with fedora 10 and one with fedora 12, even if I
>> >  think problem isn't on the version of O.S.
>> >  There is someone that can help me solving the question?
>> >  Bye
>> >    Ambrogio
> Does the cable you are using have all 4 wires? Some cables are made for data
> xfer only. try using the cable you have with a usb charger and see if it
> works. I had a similar problem with a phone and it was the cable I was using.
> hth.mike.

Also check for the charging capability with your laptop plugged in an
charging it's own battery. Some computers will not send a full charging
current to the port, when running on battery power. The current draw
while charging is generally way more than the amount USB allows for
operating a peripheral when the computer is on battery power.
G.