Sorbet on Fedora's future

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 07:38:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux at gmail.com> wrote:
> For a while, I've been arguing with very knowledgeable people here
> that there are way too many bugs in Fedora, bugs that either hinder a
> pleasant user experience or plainly break systems to the point that
> one wonders if he's not being hacked. And, for a non-geek like me, get
> rid of them before new ones add to the heap, is just impossible.
>
> Developers might not be aware of some bugs I'm experiencing because
> they're manifestly hardware related(1), while some others can't have
> escaped their attention(2).
>
> (1) The only option available in my Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P's BIOS
> offering only options for entering passwords, for exemple.
>
> (2) For instance, "New File" entering the clipboard every time a new
> file is created.
>
> Some bugs reports, even filed by Red Hat employees, have been
> outstanding for so long that most users certainly feel it's no use
> filling reports and following the outcome... unless one wants to make
> a full time job arguing with geeks on what is worthy bug and what is
> not.
>
> In Linux Weekly News, Mr Sorbet... err, make this Corbet, has written
> a nonetheless delightful article on the matter of what is causing this
> avalanche of bugs in so-called "stable" Fedora releases. To me, the
> sorbet of the whole article pretty much freezes down to this:
>
> "(...) the system which Fedora has in place for the review of proposed
> updates - Bodhi - is often circumvented by updates which go straight
> out to users. The testing and voting which is supposed to happen in
> Bodhi is, in fact, not happening much of the time, and the quality of
> the distribution is suffering as a result. So some Fedora developers
> are looking for ways to beef up the system."
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/377389/
>
> And rightly so, since not breaking stable releases is the most
> fundamental Fedora rule, as expressed here in the Stable release
> update vision:
>
> "The update repositories for stable releases of the Fedora
> distribution should provide our users with a consistent and high
> quality stream of updates."
>
> This, and more very important stuff, under "Vision Statement" at this URL:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stable_release_updates_vision
>
> If this is the Fedora's game, I'm wishing to play. Otherwise, I'll
> move to Ubuntu or, as security is important to me, CentOS or
> Scientific Linux, soon as RHEL 6 is released.
>
> So, one might ask, what will the contribution of non-geeks to Fedora
> be? Well, as I said, I have a problem with my mobo. I also can't get
> sound through HDMI to my TV. A recent update has made playing DVDs
> impossible... except with Kplayer! (not KMplayer) Etc.
>
> So, if there was a place where I could report those bugs without
> registering to 10,000 different bugzillas and dealing with
> don't-give-a-shit geeks, I certainly would fill them and would be more
> than interested in trying packages in update-testing to see if the fix
> [...]

You make some very salient points. However, you are comparing Fedora
with a something that no longer exits; i.e. a non-enterprise linux
distribution with a Red Hat name and paid technical support option.
That died out when Red Hat spawned the Fedora Project.

Fedora is beta-ware. It has been since the project's inception. You
either live with the churn or choose another distribution.  If you
want stability go with a distribution that offers long term support.
Fedora is for those who don't mind bleeding.