Sorbet on Fedora's future

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Mar 21 22:13:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 03:50 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 13:37 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> >
> >> Tim wrote:
> >> I know what you mean.  My hope was that a deafening silence would have
> >> ensued after the post.  Should another "topic" be raised I'll do my best
> >> to resist feeding time.
> >>
> > ----
> > by the way... this now being the 3rd time he has ranted similarly in 3
> > weeks and still, regardless of how muddy his thoughts are, he can't get
> > anyone to pick up the dialog along his theme. Do you think he will ever
> > get a clue?
> >
> No, thus my reference to Del Griffith.  (Del Griffith, played by John
> Candy, in "Trains, Planes & Automobiles").  Although Del did turn out to
> have redeeming qualities.
----
I think the cultural reference is rather inept because Del was at least
in my mind, much better equipped to deal with life's curveballs.

For example, one time, I picked up my daughter to drive from Phoenix to
Denver. She was in pajamas thinking only of the Phoenix to Denver, point
A to point B whereas I am much more into the journey and not the
destination. I like to get out, walk around, look at different things,
eat in restaurants, etc. She wanted to stay in the car, only to get out
when she needed to fuel the car or go to the bathroom.

Del had no one to go home to and thus, no drive to get back home, he was
more about the journey. The Steve Martin character was singularly driven
to get back home and could not find comfort anywhere else.

The OP is singularly focused on using desktop and obviously Fedora is
much more than just a desktop experience. The OP equates market share to
success whereas Fedora is actually about the journey to a better Linux
OS. Thus I think the OP is more like the humorless, tunnel-visioned
Steve Martin character than Del Griffith. Just my take.

Craig

believed to be clean.