Sorbet on Fedora's future

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Mar 21 22:20:37 UTC 2010

Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 03:50 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> by the way... this now being the 3rd time he has ranted similarly in 3
>>> weeks and still, regardless of how muddy his thoughts are, he can't get
>>> anyone to pick up the dialog along his theme. Do you think he will ever
>>> get a clue?
>>>

>> No, thus my reference to Del Griffith.  (Del Griffith, played by John
>> Candy, in "Trains, Planes & Automobiles").  Although Del did turn out to
>> have redeeming qualities.
>>
> ----
> I think the cultural reference is rather inept because Del was at least
> in my mind, much better equipped to deal with life's curveballs.

Don't tell me you are searching for perfection too?  :-)

FWIW, the reference itself cannot be "inept", only the person drawing
the reference can.

The part of the movie which reminded me of Del was when Neal says...

"You know everything is not an anecdote. You have to discriminate. You
choose things that are funny or mildly amusing or interesting. You're a
miracle! Your stories have NONE of that. They're not even amusing
ACCIDENTALLY! "Honey, I'd like you to meet Del Griffith, he's got some
amusing anecdotes for you. Oh and here's a gun so you can blow your
brains out. You'll thank me for it." I could tolerate any insurance
seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with
a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say,
"'Cause I've been with Del Griffith. I can take ANYTHING." You know what
they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean. The shower curtain ring
guy. Woah." It's like going on a date with a Chatty Cathy doll. I expect
you have a little string on your chest, you know, that I pull out and
have to snap back. Except I wouldn't pull it out and snap it back - you
would. Agh! Agh! Agh! Agh! And by the way, you know, when you're telling
these little stories? Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO
much more interesting for the listener!"

And then, of course, it isn't a precise parallel.

[We] use bad software and bad machines for the wrong things. -- R.W.
Hamming