Sorbet on Fedora's future

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Mar 22 01:41:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 19:56 -0400, Marcel Rieux wrote:

> The BIG problem with open source is that developers are always right.
> Users must fill zany bug reports, RTFM, Google their way through
> thousands of pages of, sometimes dead wrong, technical mumbo jumbo.
> (Cf. my comments installing/removing Nvidia drivers.)
----
no, users don't have to fill zany bug reports. Some of them can content
themselves by being entirely irrelevant on a user list.

The users that actually want things fixed will of course stop wasting
everyone's time and file bug reports.
----
> In OS X, the user is central: if he doesn't get it at first, there's a
> problem. Hence, results are not the same. OK, I'm not a developer, I'm
> bashing and act as if I was Steve Jobs. Well, to tell you the truth,
> I'd really like somebody to do Steve Jobs' job here. Otherwise, Linux
> certainly won't go where OS X and ChromeOS are headed. I can smell
> trash can odors.
----
ChromeOS is Linux - get a grip. It's just another specialized spin.

If you love OS X so much, buy a Macintosh and it's already included.

Linux and more specifically, open source is designed specifically to
prevent any one corporation or any one figurehead from having control.
----
> While I'm spending hours on end answering a bunch of brawlers, I know
> some Red Hat employees who say Red Hat doesn't know where it's headed.
> And it seems that, whatever happens, they won't try expressing their
> ideas. Is it that they seem to fear getting involved  or that they
> have a hard time outputting something coherent, I have no idea. (You
> know how geeks are: they pretend they must run everything, but can't
> come up with a plan. That's why Jobs does so good running Apple!)
----
It's clear that knowing absolutely nothing about what you are talking
about doesn't stop you from rendering an opinion.
----
> If I can write something about Red Hat's development in a new
> technological context, with the insight employees, administrators,
> whoever, have, it should be possible to go further. They don't have to
> disclose insiders secrets or suggest to fire some boss  on the spot.
> We're talking about starting a discussion. You know, evolving. Maybe
> they don't like my "aggressive" approach? Nothing stops them from
> starting another thread.
----
What do you actually know about Red Hat's development? Once again, it's
clear that knowing absolutely nothing about what you are talking about
doesn't stop you from rendering an opinion.
----
> The deafening silence I was talking about in another thread is not
> only deafening, it's frightening. I don't see how a company can be
> headed anywhere if it doesn't develop a vision together with its
> employees.
----
Deafening silence is merely whether to actually engage someone who has
an opinion on things that he knows so little about. It's about engaging
in what clearly is outside of the list's purpose. It's about engaging
with someone who thinks that they can participate in the development
process even though they don't write software, don't contribute
documentation, don't submit bug reports and don't contribute to the
overall effort in any way shape or form. Get a life.

Craig

believed to be clean.