Charging USB devices with Fedora

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Mon Mar 22 15:07:51 UTC 2010

On 03/17/2010 09:03 AM, Birger Wathne wrote:
> Laptops often have problems charging USB devices. Look very closely at all
> USB ports. If any of them have a small '+' symbol along with the USB logo
> that port is equipped with power. Or read the technical specs for your laptops.
>
> I have seen some Sony Ericsson phones as well as iPods that refused to
> charge from Windows desktops that didn't have the appropriate drivers
> installed. With linux on the same hardware they charged happily.

I used to charge my Blackberry on my Fedora 12 desktop with no problem.
I did have Barry Backup installed. When I switched to an Android phone,
I plugged it into the same cable (with a mini USB to Micro USB adapter,
and the Android started charging). I also charge it on my business
Thinkpad as well as my SuSE laptop. In all cases, the cables were either
Blackberry or Motorola. Additionally, a while back I bought a USB cable
at Best Buy that did not charge at all. Relaced that cable thinking it
was just a bad cable, and the replacement did not work, so I exchanged
it for a Blackberry cable and it worked fine.

BTW: I've never seen the + symbol. On both my Thinkpad (both builtin and
docking station) as well as my HP laptop, only the standard USB symbol
is adjacent to the USB ports.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix