Hibernate and OpenVPN

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 22 15:44:52 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 00:15 +0100, Andras Simon wrote:

> I've had problems with pm-hibernate on F12, but
> pm-suspend works fine.

This is going to depend on a lot of factors, such as what
motherboard/chipset you have, what software you are running, which
kernel version you have, etc. Hibernate/suspend in Linux is a moving
target.

On my systems (one desktop and one laptop with up-to-date F12) both
hibernate and suspend work quite well. I have another desktop at work
with Ubuntu, and hibernate/suspend works quite well on that one too. Not
all software recovers gracefully however. For example, I added a script
that kills all ssh sessions on hibernate or suspend, because they never
survive across a hibernate/suspend and then I have a bunch of dead
windows that I have to manually close. Killing all ssh sessions on
hibernate/suspend avoids having all the dead windows on wakeup.

Related to the original topic, I use an ipsec-tools style VPN, and it
recovers automatically on wakeup. It was a pain to get configured and
working to start with, but once in place, it is virtually automatic
using certificates to authenticate.

--Greg