chainloader +1, again

Will Walthall ghthor at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 18:26:59 UTC 2010

So I made the assumption that your part layout was /dev/sdb1 f10
system, /dev/sdb2 f12 system.

Option #1 Install grub to the MBR of /dev/sdb
Option #2 Install grub to the partition of /dev/sdb1

Lots of things you need to consider, one you dont want to break

Do you Chainload into mandriva aswell? is the Mandriva boot installed
to MBR /dev/sdd or in the partition /dev/sdd1?

Steps I would take:

:Reinstall grub to the MBR of /dev/sda and make sure that it has these 3 devices
-grub prompt in f10-
device (hd0) /dev/sda  //f10
device (hd1) /dev/sdb  //f12
device (hd2) /dev/sdd  //mandriva
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

Option #1
:Reinstall grub to the MBR of /dev/sdb
device (hd0) /dev/sdb  // This grub is isolated from the MBR one on
/dev/sda so I believe this is correct, I've never done something like
this personally, though I've messed around with grub alot
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

: Make sure all your entries in menu.lst for f10 are correct

# Again I think this is correct, though I haven't done anything like
this, I have chainloaded into grub installed to a partition, but not
into one installed to another MBR on a seperate drive
title Fedora 12
root (hd1,1)
chainloader (hd1)+1

Don't do anything till we have another exchange of dialog, my previous
message didn't take into account your non simple partition layout.

-Will