Evolution and GPG signing?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 21:43:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Maybe that last point is the important one - in Thunderbird I have the
>> option of sending PGP/mime - but I can't see how to do this in
>> Evolution?  Is there a switch I am missing because I did not look deep
>> enough or is it that Evolution just can't do PGP/Mime??
>
> At the moment you can't. There's been a lot of resistance to it as it's
> non-standard, but apparently some work is being done on it, see
> http://www.go-evolution.org/FAQ#Why_does_Evolution_attach_a_.asc-file_to_my_GPG_signed_emails.3F

Thank you, that is useful - though I am now more confused - I have TB
set to use PGP/Mime and sign email - and it is received by either TB
or Evo and verifies just fine - but from the quote it says that
(concerning Evolution): "When you sign emails, the GPG signature is
embedded in a .asc file, this is called Outline PGP (or PGP/MIME). It
is not embedded in the header/footer of the email because Inline PGP
is currently not supported by Evolution" - I thought this (PGP/Mime)
was the same as what I am using for Thunderbird? If so why does
Thunderbird then not verify? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
--
mike c