latest kernel boots to a blank screen

Michael Miles mmamiga6 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 16:10:55 UTC 2010

On 03/23/2010 10:57 PM, ka1ifq wrote:
> "On 10:17:38 pm Michael Miles<mmamiga6 at gmail.com>  said"
>
>> Here is how I got the latest update in with 190.53 nvidia driver
>>
>> Install the driver from add remove software not yum
>>
> If the system boots to a black screen, how do you run the add / remove
> software??
>
> I have been following this because I too have a system doing this and wish to
> recover it.

Either boot a live cd or hold a key down while you boot to get to the
previous kernel to get your machine back.

When I did it I had NO choice but to wipe out the system, reinstall
Fedora 12 do not update but install the driver for Nvidia through the
Add remove software.
It will install kernel and kernel mod through the driver install.

Then update your system after you get the new kernel working with the
Nvidia driver

Add remove software and search Nvidia install driver and it will find
kernel.

This is the only way I could get the system working

Or through yum using akmod nvidia not kmod

Do it through add remove software it is easier

Michael