How to remove linux partition

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Mar 27 16:54:52 UTC 2010

On 27 Mar 2010 at 9:47, Craig White wrote:

Subject:        	Re: How to remove linux partition
From:           	Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
To:             	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Date sent:      	Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:47:03 -0700
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
	<mailto:users-
request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:users-
request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>

> On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 00:27 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > I've not had to mess with Windows partitions much...but I don't recall
> > the Linux tools being much good at fiddling with NTFS.
> >
> > It would be my suggestion to get a copy of "Partition Magic".  Its a
> > good Windows utility that can be had for a "good price" if you know
> > where to look.
> ----
> you should probably remove Partition Magic from your recommended list of
> utilities since it is essentially:
>
> - abandoned software
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PartitionMagic
>
> - incapable of dealing with ext4

I believe the original message said it was Fedora 11, which I believe didn't
use ext4 or have it as an option.

> actually, the system tools in Linux are pretty good at dealing with NTFS
> these days. In reality, you can just 'format' a partition in Windows to
> repurpose it from Linux to Windows or use either the Windows or Linux
> versions of fdisk to remove Linux partitions.

I've used the gparted with a number of live cds, and the ntfsprog do a very
good job supporting ntfs.

My G4L project has ntfsclone and supports ntfs, but no director resizing.

> Craig
>

> --
> believed to be clean.
>
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI      9,535,143.929810 | EINSTEIN  3,864,659.270851
ROSETTA   1,813,326.197366 | ABC         416,151.919783