Fedora 12: issue running custom Env. Variable before KDE login

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Sun Mar 28 22:34:16 UTC 2010

> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>

> > And, as most of you probably expect from what you read above, "which
k3b"
> > returns the following value:
> > [steve at localhost ~]$ which k3b
> > /usr/bin/k3b
> > [steve at localhost ~]$
> >
> > So, I am at a loss as to what to do next.
>
> You probably want to modify PATH as well
>
> PATH=/usr/local/spu/spu-20100328/kde/bin:$PATH
> export PATH

Hello Rex,
Now "which k3b" returns the variable
"/usr/local/spu/spu-20100328/kde/bin/k3b"  This is EXACTLY what I wanted to
see there...  The problem is that when I start that k3b, which is now in my
PATH, the plugins are not detected.  Translation: I get an error window
about needing to convert my MP3's to WAV files before I can burn them to an
Audio CD.

I did put this in the "/home/steve/.kde/env/customenv.sh" file.  Is that
correct?  Here is the current contents of that file:
export KDEDIR=/usr
export KDEDIRS=/usr/local/spu/spu-20100328:$KDEDIR

PATH=/usr/local/spu/spu-20100328/kde/bin:$PATH
export PATH

When I had this working a few days ago, all that I had in my customenv.sh
file was:
export KDEDIR=/usr
export KDEDIRS=/usr/local/spu/spu-20100328:$KDEDIR

(Of course the path reflected in the "KDEDIRS" line was different.)

The point is, with the above quoted two lines in customenv.sh, and without
adding anything to my PATH, I could just run "k3b" from a terminal, the
correct version would run, and the plugins would be detected as desired.
Should that have worked? Perhaps not.  But, nonetheless, it did work for
about a week...

Thank you very much for your attention to my problem :)
Steven P. Ulrick