Fedora 12: issue running custom Env. Variable before KDE login

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Mon Mar 29 08:13:49 UTC 2010

> You can also set environment variables really, really early
> by adding a script to the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ directory
> (but those scripts get run for all users).

Hello Tom,
I tried putting scripts with the following contents:

#!/bin/sh
export KDEDIR=/usr
export KDEDIRS=$KDEDIR:/usr/local/spu/spu-20100328/kde

#!/bin/sh
export KDEDIR=/usr
export KDEDIRS=/usr/local/spu/spu-20100328/kde:$KDEDIR

into "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/"  Just to be safe, I rebooted.  Neither
script appeared to have any effect whatsoever.

I continue to believe that WHEN we figure this out, we will find SOMETHING
wrong in my particular configuration.  That being the case, I still wonder
why putting:
export KDEDIR=/usr
export KDEDIRS=/usr/local/spu/spu-20100328/kde:$KDEDIR

in ~/.kde/env/customenv.sh did work for about a week!  The only difference
was that I had k3b installed in a slightly different path.  With "k3b"
installed in something like "/usr/local/spu/spu-20100328/k3b" I could open
up a terminal, run just "k3b" and "k3b" would start perfectly, detect the
encoding & decoding plugins, and I would be able to burn audio CD's without
converting them to WAV files first...  I suppose many of us have moments
like these: why did this USED to work?

Steven P. Ulrick