Updating from F9 to F12

prakhar gaur prakhar_aaidu16 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 29 17:26:33 UTC 2010

> I am trying to update my F9 to F12.
> i have to go from F9 to F10, then F10 to F12.

>>I was only able to use "preupgrade" to go from F9 to F11.  For whatever
>>reason, F9 to F12 did not work for me.  Some time in the near future, I
>>will probably try F11 to F14....

when I do,
$ sudo yum install preupgrade
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Everything/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again

So again the obsolete http is culprit, as seen below.

> i tried
>
> $rpm -Uvh
> ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-*.noarch.rpm
> its says http not found, i checked, the ftp has now been moved to
> http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/10
>
> Then i manually installed both the *fedora-release-*.noarch.rpm *packages.
> now when i try
> $yum upgrade
> it prints,
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Everything/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
> Trying other mirror.
> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
> fedora. Please verify its path and try again
>
> Note the http is still incorrect,
> How do i change it to,
> http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/10/Everything/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml

>>Edit the files:

>>	/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo
>>	/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo

Is it safe???

any ways, I'll back up the files and try it out.

>>But, these files should be a part of your fedora-release rpm....
>>What is the exact version of the fedora-release RPM that you have installed?

I installed,
F10 realese RPM
fedora-release-10-1.narch.rpm
fedora-release-notes-10.0.1.noarch.rpm