ogm video

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 21:14:18 UTC 2010

On Monday 29 March 2010 21:11:21 Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Monday 29 March 2010 12:48 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > Third, it seems that you are running 64bit arch, which might present
> > itself as a tad little problem, since the .dll file is 32bit and will
> > not work in your environment. What you need to do is to
>
> I think this is unnecesary. to run 32 bit codecs on a 64 bit machine
> putiing them in /usr/lib/codecs should be enough. Similarly the 64 bit
> codecs go into /usr/lib64/codecs
>
> > $ ls /usr/lib/codecs/ |grep -cE 'dll|so'
> > 82
> > $ ls /usr/lib64/codecs/ |grep -cE 'dll|so'
> > 3

Well, as you can see, the list of codecs in the two directories is hardly
equivalent. AFAIK, in general 32bit plugins don't usually interoperate well
with 64bit apps (think firefox, nspluginwrapper, flash-plugin, etc.). As for
mplayer, I remember that this didn't work before and was generally considered
unfixable, so I guess today is still the same.

But theory aside, I did an experiment --- downloaded one of the sample files
from http://www.on2.com/index.php?617 , played no problem using mplayer.i686,
while getting exactly the same error as the OP using mplayer.x86_64. In both
cases all relevant codec files are in both /usr/lib/codecs/ and
/usr/lib64/codecs/.

I would really like to know about your setup if you are able to play any of
those files using 64bit mplayer.

Best, :-)
Marko