Sftp does not work after upgrade fo F12

Rick Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 13:37:41 UTC 2010

On 03/30/2010 05:57 AM, Gianfranco Durin wrote:

> Googling a little, I see I am not the only one to have a similar problem:
>
> http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Linux/Setup/Q_24958525.html
> http://support.expandrive.com/discussions/expandrive-mac/361-can-ssh-connect-on-the-comandline-but-expandrive-connection-allways-dies
>
> So, finally I tried:
> ===================================
> sftp -vvv localhost
> debug1: Sending subsystem: sftp
> debug2: channel 0: request subsystem confirm 1
> debug2: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
> debug2: callback done
> debug2: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
> debug3: Wrote 192 bytes for a total of 1941
> debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 2097152
> debug2: channel_input_status_confirm: type 99 id 0
> debug2: subsystem request accepted on channel 0
> debug3: Wrote 48 bytes for a total of 1989
> debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-signal reply 0
> debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype eow at openssh.com reply 0
> debug2: channel 0: rcvd eow
> debug2: channel 0: close_read
> debug2: channel 0: input open -> closed
> debug2: channel 0: rcvd eof
> debug2: channel 0: output open -> drain
> debug2: channel 0: obuf empty
> debug2: channel 0: close_write
> debug2: channel 0: output drain -> closed
> debug2: channel 0: rcvd close
> debug3: channel 0: will not send data after close
> debug2: channel 0: almost dead
> debug2: channel 0: gc: notify user
> debug2: channel 0: gc: user detached
> debug2: channel 0: send close
> debug2: channel 0: is dead
> debug2: channel 0: garbage collecting
> debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
> debug3: channel 0: status: The following connections are open:
>    #0 client-session (t4 r0 i3/0 o3/0 fd -1/-1 cfd -1)
>
> debug3: channel 0: close_fds r -1 w -1 e 6 c -1
> debug3: Wrote 32 bytes for a total of 2021
> debug3: Wrote 64 bytes for a total of 2085
> debug1: fd 0 clearing O_NONBLOCK
> debug3: fd 1 is not O_NONBLOCK
> Transferred: sent 1872, received 2040 bytes, in 0.1 seconds
> Bytes per second: sent 22414.6, received 24426.1
> debug1: Exit status -1
> Connection closed
> =================================
> Honestly, I am little confused...
>
> Thanks to all,
> Gianfranco

I am confused too.

Just a guess...might be a wild goose chase...
for the user account you are trying to sftp to, could you save your bash
startup files on the server machine and set up the default bash startup
files?

My memory is vague, or it might be my imagination, but I seem to
remember having a problem, a very long time ago, about having things in
my bash startup files that were interfering with my ability to do things
through ssh.  Whatever problem I had may no longer be a problem.

I finally fixed my problem by stopping my .bashrc file from doing
certain things if not interactive.

I came to the conclusion my problem had something to do with things in
my .bashrc file intercepting input from the standard input and creating
unexpected output on standard output.

I still try to separate my bash startup files into stuff I always want
to do and stuff I only want to do when interactive.

I still put the following line in an appropriate place in my .bashrc
file to stop doing certain things when I am not interactive:

# check for shell is not interactive
    [ -z "${PS1}" ] && return

It's just a guess...but it would be quick and easy to test.