Looking for a monitor driver

jack craig jcraig at extraview.com
Tue Mar 30 21:17:32 UTC 2010

Personally, i am unclear why you put so much effort into what
was already observed to be an ancient os version? are you  making grade
points for maintaining bitrot? :-P

you knock yourself out to fix such a small issues only to find may
others may lurk.

more current FC version will undoubted work better.

you might get a different set of problems, but at least with current sw,
others are currently fighting those issues so you might get more helpful

you are aware the entire Linux X world has been redone in recent years?

On 03/30/2010 02:04 PM, Margaret Doll wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2010, at 3:34 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Margaret Doll<Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
>>
>>> wrote:
>>> We are trying to attach a Dell E2210H monitor to a Dell X260 Optiplex
>>> which is running 2.6.10-1.771_FC2.
>>>
>>> I have found the drivers for Windows but not for Fedora.  Where can I
>>> access monitor drivers for Fedora?
>>>
>> With respect FC2 is very old indeed and you would be better off
>> installing an up to date version of Fedora which will likely have a
>> much better chance of driving your monitor - the current drivers will
>> be much more likely to work with your monitor directly from a more
>> recent install of Fedora.
>>
>> Any reason you can't install F12?
>>

>> Nowhere. Monitor drivers don't exist. The .ini file for Windows
>> isn't a driver either, just a configuration file that contains
>> info about the sync frequencies supported by the monitor.
>>
>> Normally the data about monitor properties is read directly from
>> the monitor through the DDC protocol. What problems are you
>> having with the monitor?
>>
> I got the screen to work with the system by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> changing the Horizontal rates, the size of the screen and the Modes
> for the screen.  Unfortunately the display does not fit the monitor's
> size,  too tall and not wide enough.  I did play with the dimensions
> of the screen.
>
> There may not be drivers for the monitors, but the various systems
> have a knowledge of a list of monitors.  The E2210H Dell is not listed
> on the F2 system.  That would be a good reason for an upgrade.  I will
> see if I can pull the system offline for an upgrade.
>
> I don't understand why the Mode entry  in /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not
> seem to have  any relationship to the Modes shown in the System/
> Display gui.  I coded in 1920x1080 in xorg.conf.  The Display gui
> shows 1024xsomething and 1280x960.  Why?
>
>> --
>> mike c
>> --

Jack Craig