Updating from F9 to F12

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Mar 30 22:49:32 UTC 2010

prakhar gaur wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> This is my first mail to a mailing list , so if i make any mistakes, Sorry.
> I am trying to update my F9 to F12.
> i have to go from F9 to F10, then F10 to F12.
> i tried
>
> $rpm -Uvh
> ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-*.noarch.rpm
> its says http not found, i checked, the ftp has now been moved to
> http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/10
>
> Then i manually installed both the *fedora-release-*.noarch.rpm *packages.
> now when i try
> $yum upgrade
> it prints,
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Everything/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
> Trying other mirror.
> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
> fedora. Please verify its path and try again
>
> Note the http is still incorrect,
> How do i chance it to,
> http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/10/Everything/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml
>
> Thanking you all,

May I suggest trying a live-CD before doing this. The video drivers have issues
with ATI (Radeon) card, Nvidia cards and chips, and Intel chips. Some work, some
need pre-release open source drivers, some need vendor binary drivers.

In addition to technical issues there are political issues, and people who will
insist that it's better to run in VESA mode rather than use a vendor driver.
Others will insist you need a vendor driver so you can use 3D and wobbly
windows. There's a lot of "anyone who doesn't do it my way is stupid, evil, or
ill-informed" out there. :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>