HTTP error 416 with google-chrome and virtualbox repos

Andre Costa blueser at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 00:22:51 UTC 2010

Hi Tim,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 17:46, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 09:25 -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
> > HTTP error 416
>
> 416 - Requested Range Not Satisfiable
> A server usually returns a response with 416-status code if a request
> included a Range request-header field, and none of the range-specifier
> values in this field overlap the current extent of the selected
> resource, and the request did not include an If-Range request-header
> field. For example if the resource is an image file and has 1000 bytes,
> and the Range requested is 500-1500, then it cannot be satisfied.

Pretty weird, isn't it? This was the first time I heard about Error 416.

At least somene else (another Tim BTW ;-)) is also experiencing this:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-linux-repositories-help-basics/browse_thread/thread/69265baf769d402a

> It sounds like you've got a different primary.xml.gz file cached than
> the server is serving, and you're trying to merge them together (which
> can only work when resuming downloading the exact same file) instead of
> replace your one with theirs.  Trying "yum clean metadata" might clear
> up the snag.

Yeah, I had tried cleaning yum's metadata, but it still chokes the same way.
This is really weird, and has been going on for a couple of days already.
AFAIK it only occurs for these two repos.

Regards,

Andre