Where is everything?

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sun May 2 23:28:21 UTC 2010

On 05/03/2010 04:16 AM, terry wrote:
> notice there is  look in /etc/etc/etc/.....  or usr/root/where is it  or
> some such file.  Is there a list that describes where all of this
> knowledge is located to alleviate problems. Unless all distributions are
> identical, 'get a good book on Linux' will not suffice.

there used to be an app called tree, I think which layed out the system
and user files in a tree format, I found it helpful many years ago.
I've never found it difficult to find things in linux, be it Fedora or
Ubuntu. Strange at first, yes! but not difficult.
sudo is my friend.
"sudo updatedb" puts everything in the database
"locate" finds anything in the updatedb database
You can use "man sudo" or "man locate" for more details without the
quote marks.
"man", short for manual is a good resource.
If it's not in the database then it's not on the computer and that
includes any mounted periferals, like usb, cdrom, other hard drives.
I usually unmount these before updatedb.
I haven't found significant differences in where things are placed in
either Fedora and Ubuntu but there are probably some.
My exploration was mainly /etc, /var, /sbin, /user/sbin, /usr/bin /dev
and others and I did explore /boot.
I never needed to explore /root

ls -aFl is also my friend.
  for instance ls -aFl /etc or ls -aFl /var
Hope this helps
Roger