Which device assigned to removable media

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Mon May 3 20:36:10 UTC 2010

On 05/02/2010 09:16:09 PM, john wendel wrote:
> On 05/02/2010 08:14 PM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> > When I plug in an eSATA drive, it is assigned to sdb or sdd
> depending
> > on whether other devices are installed. The device is reported by
> the
> > kernel (/var/log/messages), but I'd like to be able to find this
> > information without processing the log. Any pointers?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Look at /dev/disks. Mounted disks show up here.  You can also just
> compare /dev before and after mounting. There's probably a gui, but I
> don't bother.
>
> I also label the disk partitions and mount by label so I don't need
>
> know the device name.

My original post was somewhat unclear. The question was which device is
assigned to the disk when it's plugged in so I can know which device to
mount.

It appears that if I look at /dev/disk/by-label, the device name --
Sansa\x20e250 for example, is a symbolic link to the device -- ../../
sdb1 for example. I can then mount /dev/sdb1.

Thanks to all who replied.

Geoffrey