Preupgrade??

Peter Larsen plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com
Tue May 4 14:58:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 22:58 -0400, Marcel Rieux wrote:
>         That's not what I said.  I said I've been using Fedora and
>         RedHat long
>         before things like LVM existed.  I'm more comfortable without
>         them at
>         times, especially after I got burned by a disk failure while
>         using LVM.
>
> Oops! Disk failures happen. You had problems doing a restore?
>
> Whatever the case may be, it seems to me LVM shouldn't be thrown at
> newbies for the desktop. I certainly will keep away from it as much as
> I can.

I could not disagree more. LVM is essential to solve problems like
resizing issues; backup and generally solve all the problems that static
partition tables has had since their inception.

Generally, "users" shouldn't care about how/where things are stored.
They use OpenOffice, mail, browsers and applications. It's not the users
job to configure the box and do system administration.

The problem here seems to be, that Fedora isn't using a Grub version
that supports LVM. Is there any plans on switching to grub2 on install
so we can get rid of the /boot partition and help resolve issues like
upgrade needing more space temporarily.

--
Best Regards
  Peter Larsen