Windows 7 on a Fedora 12 KVM Box ?

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Tue May 4 21:40:41 UTC 2010

On 05/04/2010 01:17 PM, Emmett Culley wrote:
> On 05/04/2010 12:30 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

>>> Upgraded a winXP VM to win7 without a hitch.  I upgraded to 64 bit win7 on a 64 bit host (Fedora 12).
>>>
>>> I haven't tried an install from scratch, and probably won't.
>>>
>>> Emmett
>>>

>> Did you get any audio from Windows 7. I have not yet reloaded my Windows
>> 7 (64-bit) under Virtualbox, but previously I was not able to get any
>> sound from Windows 7 under KVM or Virtualbox where the sound from
>> Windows XP worked fine. Probably need a driver.
>>

> I don't use sound as the VM is only used to test windoze only apps.
>
> However, I just took a look and the win7 VM doesn't see any sound cards.  So no, I haven't gotten audio to work.

I have Windows 7 running as a VM under VMware on F12.  I did a from
scratch install of Win7 Ultimate and had no problems.  The Win 7 network
is bridged to my wireless network and everything works just fine.  The
only issues I have encountered are related to performance.  When I run
my Win7 VM on my F12 box it tends to hog memory causing things to run
slower than if I wasn't running my Win7 VM.  I have 2Gb of memory on my
system and I have 1Gb of RAM allocated to my Win7 VM.  Things would
probably run better with more memory.

Paolo