File "types" in gnome

Mohamed El Morabity pikachu.2014 at gmail.com
Tue May 4 21:52:27 UTC 2010

2010/5/4 Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net>

> How does Gnome determine the "type" of a file.  The type can be
> discovered by right clicking on the file icon in Nautilus, and then
> selecting the tab "Open With".  I suspect that the type is determined by
> the type as reported by the file command, by the file's extension, and
> by tables of mime types in the system.  Is this correct?  The rules
> don't seem to be documented anywhere, nor is there any advice on how to
> set up the tables.
>
> Why am I interested?
>
> I'm trying to set up nautilus so that clicking on a XML file with
> extension ".aup" will start Audacity.  (".aup" is the extension used by
> the Audacity audio editor for the files it uses.)  On my system, the
> type of such an .aup file is "XML document", which is associated (quite
> reasonably) with Firefox and a number of editors.  I'd like to set
> things up so that files with extension .aup will have their own type,
> which could be associated with Audacity.  How can such a type be
> created, etc.?
>
> Thanks - jon
>

> --

Hi,

if I remember well, Nautilus relies on the MIME type of the file (as given
for exemple by the « file » command, which uses libmagic as Nautilus). If
Nautilus fails to detect it, then it relies on the extension file, like
Windows.
About your problem, maybe this could help you:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/shared-mime-info-spec/shared-mime-info-spec-latest.html
But you'd better interact with upstream to define a new MIME type.