Fedora 12 Update - Lost Dual Monitor

Phil Pinkerton pcpinkerton at gmail.com
Wed May 5 10:13:18 UTC 2010

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 05/04/2010 04:51 PM, Phil Pinkerton wrote:
>> The installation of Fedora-12 x86_64 was flawless ( great job folks
>> ). I install it on  my Acer Aspire 7520 ( nvidia 7000m ) that also
>> has a 22" AOC monitor attached.
>>
>> I was able to set up everything the way I liked it ... then I made a
>> big mistake I ran "yum update" then "yum upgrade" and after a re-boot
>> I lost the second display and also th display configuration tool.
>> Too Bad as I really liked the original look and fonts. Now I only
>> have 1024x789Â  or less available for my laptop screen ( normally
>> 1400x900 ) and a fuzzy large font.
>
> Try installing system-config-display and run that from a command line.

No joy .... got the following error when running system-config-display
from the command line

   # system-config-display
Couldn't start X server on card 0
Couldn't start X server with old config, trying with a fresh configuration
Couldn't start X server on card 0
Error, failed to start X server.

When I boot now I am left a flickering text screen no prompt so I am
forced to ctrl-alt F2 to get a prompt.
Other *nix flavors allow the install of Nvidia drivers and the Nvidia
settings utility. Is that available on Fedora ?

thanks

Phil