Preupgrade??

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Wed May 5 11:37:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Peter Larsen <
plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 22:58 -0400, Marcel Rieux wrote:
> >         That's not what I said.  I said I've been using Fedora and
> >         RedHat long
> >         before things like LVM existed.  I'm more comfortable without
> >         them at
> >         times, especially after I got burned by a disk failure while
> >         using LVM.
> >
> > Oops! Disk failures happen. You had problems doing a restore?
> >
> > Whatever the case may be, it seems to me LVM shouldn't be thrown at
> > newbies for the desktop. I certainly will keep away from it as much as
> > I can.
>
> I could not disagree more. LVM is essential to solve problems like
> resizing issues; backup and generally solve all the problems that static
> partition tables has had since their inception.

I'm glad to learn that Beartooth finally found somebody to help him out!

> Generally, "users" shouldn't care about how/where things are stored.
> They use OpenOffice, mail, browsers and applications. It's not the users
> job to configure the box and do system administration.

That's certainly the way Mac users think. The problem is when something goes
awry. It sometimes takes a hell of a lot of time before you get out of the
forest that eases things out.

> The problem here seems to be, that Fedora isn't using a Grub version
> that supports LVM. Is there any plans on switching to grub2 on install
> so we can get rid of the /boot partition and help resolve issues like
> upgrade needing more space temporarily.

Oops! No help for Beartooth, then? Are you saying that LVM has been pushed
onto unsuspecting users something like 2 or 3 versions too soon? You'll need
somebody more competent than me to comment on this but that's pretty much
the reason I'm not too fond of Fedora's novelties.