YUM seg fault on F12 on x86_64 with >4096M of memory

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu May 6 05:31:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 19:22 -0400, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
> I'm having a really weird issue, and I'm sure that someone must have
> heard of something like this.
>
> Yum seg faults when I ask it to do "things" when I have >4096M of
> physical memory installed.

I -greatly- doubt it.
I'm running F12 on machine with >64GB of RAM. (I'm typing this on a
machine with 12GB of RAM)

> I'm running on a system with a Core 2 Quad, QX9770, with a x86_64
> install of Fedora 12 from
>   LIVE CD.
>
> If I drop physical memory down to <= 4096M, everything is happy.  But
> for >= 4096M, not so happy.

Sound like a memory issue.
Problem is - AFAIR memtest86 is 32bit and can only access 4GB of RAM.

Never the less, check the motherboard manual to see that your memory
configuration is supported.

> Other parts of the system seem to be working OK. I can bring up Firefox,
> muck about in it, etc.
>
> My windows come up without issue.

32bit Windows or 64bit Windows?

> But YUM can't seem to handle having too much physical memory (which just
> strikes me as profoundly weird).

As I said, I greatly doubt that this is a yum issue.

> Any clues?

- Gilboa