seeking resolution to Network Device difficulties

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Thu May 6 18:58:41 UTC 2010

Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> How do you obtain an IP? Do you get one served from DHCP on your router?
> It is possible that your router is configured to provide a fixed IP for a
> network card with specific MAC address. If that is the case, since you
> have changed the card the MAC is now different and you probably need to
> reconfigure the router, not the computer.

I just called my internet provider (who supply the router with my monthly
subscription). It turns out that the only way to get rid of an old computer on
my network and free up a previously used IP address is to reset the device and
reconfigure the whole thing, including wireless setup, access control, the
whole 9 yards.

So, I guess I will just have to edit my aliases and scripts to use the new IP
address.

The one remaining problem, then:

How do I make knetworkmanager automatically connect to the internet, instead of
me having to click the icon, like it did with the previous hardware?