Network Adaptor conundrums

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Fri May 7 01:54:29 UTC 2010

John Aldrich wrote:

> Just wondering, but what have you got against system-config-network?

About system-config-network...

Yes, of course I examined it right after rebooting with the new motherboard
and not having any internet. So, I will tell you what I see, now that I do
have internet (but I have to click the applet to get it to start): in the
devices tab, I have my eth0 device, enabled, status active (I didn't click
'activate when computer starts', as I believe you were suggesting, and I am
staying with DHCP); in hardware, my eth0 adaptor is correctly shown. All
seems well here, as far as is possible to ascertain.

What is curious, however, is that that other program, network device control,
is completely blank. According to it, there are no network interfaces
configured in the active profile! This seems odd, as I could swear that there
was a device here before I swapped motherboards/ethernet adaptors. The
program has no way for me to enter anything: I cannot activate, deactivate or
configure what is not there!

Does this suggest something, like why networkmanager applet is not connecting
automatically without me expressly clicking to activate?