Problem with Akamai's INET6?

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Fri May 7 05:06:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 05 May 2010 14:21:06 Marcel Rieux wrote:
> > I try to view this video:
> >
> > http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/lies/video.html
> >
> > and don't succeed.
> >
> > I was able to get an mms URL at Akamai, but here's what happens, even
> using
> > mplayer directly:
> >
> > mplayer mms://
> >
> a1866.v8752c.c8752.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1866/8752/0/origin.media.cbc.ca/
> > windows/fifth/media/lies2.wmv
>
> If you try mplayer with -v option (verbose mode), it will eventually say
> (among other things):
>
> Parsing playlist

I don't get the same error messages as you:

mplayer -v http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/lies/video.html | grep -i 'parsing
playlist'
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: www.cbc.ca

If I were you, I'd complain to the cbc.ca webmaster and tell him to fix it.

It's going to be an uphill battle:
Linux

   - At this time Linux is not supported.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/help.html#T02

Which, of course, it totally unacceptable for a state television. I'll try
nonetheless.