ntfs problem, no such file or directory.

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Fri May 7 13:54:01 UTC 2010

On 05/07/2010 05:20 AM, Dj YB wrote:
> hello,
>
> I have managed somehow to create a file I can't delete now.
> probably a failed copy\download long ago.
>
> the output shows like that:
>
> [root at localhost 5]# ll
> total 1
> -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2010-05-07 12:07 24 Season 5 Episode 03.avi
> [root at localhost 5]# rm 24\ Season\ 5\ Episode\ 03.avi
> rm: remove regular file `24 Season 5 Episode 03.avi'? y
> rm: cannot remove `24 Season 5 Episode 03.avi': No such file or directory
>
> any advices how to fix this problem are welcome.

it is possible that the file may contain a hidden character or special
character that renders what appears to be a space. . While I have not
encountered this on an NTFS mounted file system, one way might be is to
run emacs as root, and use dired to list, then delete the directory. Or
possibly the Gnome or KDE file manager.

Another possible way in the command line is to key on a pattern:
'rm *Episode*.avi' or possibly 'rm *24*.avi'

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix