No network connection (Lewis Jessup)

David Wiener david.s.wiener at duke.edu
Sat May 8 03:39:54 UTC 2010

Lewis,

Sounds like it may be routing.  Look at your routing table by entering
'route' at the command line of a terminal.

You should see several lines, the last of which is 'default' and should
have an IP address in the gateway column.

This tell the tcp/ip in your system where to go when it wants to connect
to the rest of the world.

If that is working, then perhaps you have a dns issue.  In that case
enter this at the command line:

cat /etc/resolve.conf

This will tell you where your system is getting its DNS info.  There are
(should be) IP addresses listed here.

If there are, try this command:

traceroute [ip address from the list]

This will tell you if you are able to reach your dns servers.

So -

If you do not have a default gateway in your routing table, then your
modem is not giving out that info.  If you know the address of your
router you can manually add the gateway:

[as root] route add default gw [ip address of the router]

If your DNS tables are empty, then, once again, your router is not
feeding you what it should.

Regards,

David