Windows 7 install in KVM problems

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat May 8 16:09:49 UTC 2010

Jim wrote:
> Trying to istall Windows 7 in KVM,
>
> Started Virtual-Manager and got Windows started installing and it got to
> "Starting Setup" on Windows Desktop then crashes.
>
> Below is /var/log/messages;
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/engine.py", line 637, in
> reboot_domain
>      vm.reboot()
>    File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 146, in
> reboot
>      self._backend.reboot(0)
>    File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 398, in
> reboot
>      if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainReboot() failed',
> dom=self)
> libvirtError: this function is not supported by the hypervisor:
> virDomainReboot

That certainly seems clear, although I have no idea what to do about it. I run
Win7 under kvm without problems, so it sounds as if you have a virt_lib issue,
which I can't diagnose. You might just install under kvm directly from cli and
then do whatever it takes to use the hypervisor.

1 - create a disk image with qemu-img, use the "raw" format, I think hypervisor
     needs that later.
2 - do the install:
     qemu-kvm -m 800 -soundhw ac97 -hda your_disk.img -cdrom Win7_install.iso

IIRC that's what I did. It was more a test of kvm than using Win7, but it did
work fine, I can still boot and run.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>