Converting MKV to AVI

Michael Miles mmamiga6 at gmail.com
Sat May 8 17:28:31 UTC 2010

> On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 09:53 -0700, Michael Miles wrote:

>>> Yes, it only seems to output H.264 or Mpeg-4.
>>>
>>> poc
>>>

>> It's really unfortunate but linux and video leaves something to be desired.
>>
>> The last one I have had some success is WinFF
>>
>> it uses ffmpeg to do it's work.
>>
>> Try it it does cover most files to avi.
>>
> Generating avi output is not really the problem. Avi is just a container
> format. The real issue is how to specify the right codecs with the right
> parameters. There are just way too many options for the non-expert to be
> able to decide.
>
> poc

Winff is a front end for ffmpeg.
It allows you to specify framerate, bitrate, size everything you would
want to manipulate.

Go into the option menu for the extra control.

I wish standalone dvd players would support mkv and h.264 as it is the
most efficient mpeg4 container
Some do support but are still expensive

a normal video parameters for a non hd player would be 720x480
resolution, framerate ntsc 29.97 Videobitrate 1500-2500

Always select 2 pass for best results