Converting MKV to AVI

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun May 9 03:49:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 10:28 -0700, Michael Miles wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 10:10 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >> It's really unfortunate but linux and video leaves something to be desired.
> >>
> >> The last one I have had some success is WinFF
> >>
> >> it uses ffmpeg to do it's work.
> >>
> >> Try it it does cover most files to avi.
> >>
> > Generating avi output is not really the problem. Avi is just a container
> > format. The real issue is how to specify the right codecs with the right
> > parameters. There are just way too many options for the non-expert to be
> > able to decide.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Winff is a front end for ffmpeg.
> It allows you to specify framerate, bitrate, size everything you would
> want to manipulate.
>
> Go into the option menu for the extra control.
>
> I wish standalone dvd players would support mkv and h.264 as it is the
> most efficient mpeg4 container
> Some do support but are still expensive
>
> a normal video parameters for a non hd player would be 720x480
> resolution, framerate ntsc 29.97 Videobitrate 1500-2500
>
> Always select 2 pass for best results

Tried it but the main problems persist: the video starts off at a
too-high frame rate (like fast-forward) and the sound is out of sync. If
I pause, rewind or fast-forward the video corrects itself to normal
speed, but the sound then disappears completely.

The odd thing is that all of the various experiments I've done produce
AVI files that play perfectly with vlc or dragon, just not with my
standalone player.

The player docs say it can handle:
* Up to 720x576 resolution
* Up to 30 fps
* Video must be interleaved
* GMC (motion comp) only at 1-point, whatever that is.
* avi, mpg or mpeg files
* Codecs: DIVX[345].xx, MP43, 3IVX
* Audio: DTS, PCM MP3, WMA, bitrates to 320kpbs

I have a strong impression that the whole problem has to do with
synching, but I don't know how to fix it.

poc