Samba on F12

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Mon May 10 01:10:29 UTC 2010

What's with samba on F12?

I boot my system, double-click on the Network link in the Nautilus file
browser, double click on the Windows Network link and then double click on
the work group link and it displays my laptop's host name, but no other
systems in the work group.  After about an hour I double click on my
laptop's host entry and it disappears.  There are no longer any entries in
the Windows Network directory.  If I reboot it gets re-populated for a while
and then the entries disappear.   No matter how many times I restart both
the smb and nmb services the entries wont appear until I reboot.

I can use smbclient to display information about the other systems in the
workgroup so I know I'm connected.  However, only Windows XP systems provide
useful info, Windows 7 systems display errors.

I discovered this when I tried to use my laptop to access a printer on my
dad's windows network.  This all worked fine before until my dad decided to
upgrade his systems to Windows 7.

So what's the magic required to actually traverse a windows workgroup via
the Nautilus file browser and how do I use samba to connect to a Windows 7
box to print?

It appears that my system can't authenticate to the Windows 7 system.

This is what I get for one of the Windows 7 systems

Below is for one Windows 7 system

smbclient -N -L xxyyzz01
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_END_OF_FILE

Below is for another Windows 7 system

smbclient -N -L xxyyzz02
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[XXYYZZ] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7600] Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]

    Sharename       Type      Comment
    ---------       ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[XXYYZZ] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7600] Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]

    Server               Comment
    ---------            -------

    Workgroup            Master
    ---------            -------

Below is for a Windows XP system

smbclient -N -L xxyyzz04
Domain=[xxyyzz04] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

    Sharename       Type      Comment
    ---------       ----      -------
    IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
    D$              Disk      Default share
    SharedDocs      Disk
    print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
    Printer2        Printer   Acrobat Distiller
    ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
    C$              Disk      Default share
    Printer         Printer   HP Mobile Printing PS
    T4_D            Disk
Domain=[xxyyzz04] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

    Server               Comment

    Workgroup            Master

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Paolo