What's up with bash shell and spaces in filenames?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon May 10 16:52:48 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Alan Evans <ame.fedora at gmail.com> said:
> [alan at agena ~]$ cd /media/My" "Book/
> bash: cd: /media/My: No such file or directory

Try looking at the kernel messages (dmesg).  I have seen media errors,
especially on auto-mounted external devices like this, give similar
results.

Does "mount" show the correct device mounted there?

Is it possibly some Unicode space (as opposed to ASCII 32)?  Try
"grep My /proc/mounts | od -t c".

Otherwise: no idea; I've never seen bash have a problem.  Try installing
strace and running "strace bash -c 'cd /media/My*Book' 2>&1 | grep My".
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>