RAM shows less

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue May 11 23:03:24 UTC 2010

John Aldrich wrote:
> Just a question here... are you running a 32-bit version of Fedora or a 64-
> bit version? 32-bit versions will only show about 3 gigs of memory, no
> matter how much if you have 20 Gigs, you'll only see 3.

That information is not correct. Using a PAE kernel all memory is available in
32 bit mode. And using 64 bit mode is no solution for the BIOS not making memory
available, I have a 4GB system which will use only 2.9GB with any kernel or
available BIOS. The BIOS in SETUP says it is taking away 1.1GB, but not why, and
no setting corrects it.

I write this in a VM on a 32 bit machine using all 8GB of memory.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>