Installing Windows XP under KVM (SP3 fails)

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Thu May 13 15:35:52 UTC 2010

Thomas Cameron wrote:
> This might have been covered elsewhere, if so I'm sorry for the noise.
>
> I tried to install XP SP3 as a KVM guest yesterday and it just hung at
> "installing devices."  The little flashing scroll bar at the bottom of
> the page was still going, and it was pingable, but the installation
> progress bar stalled and the installation never completed.  I couldn't
> find any references to this issue via Google (although it's certainly
> possible I was not searching with the right terms).
>
> I popped onto #fedora on Freenode and found someone else who had had the
> same issue.  He suggested trying an older version of XP and I did.  It
> worked fine.
>
> So, if you run into problems with XP SP3 as a KVM guest, try an older
> version.
>
> Just wanted to post this in case anyone else ran into it.  Hope it's
> helpful.

As additional info:

My XP SP2 installation inside KVM had been working perfectly until
the moment I installed XP SP3. After that, it blue-screens on
boot with something related to ACPI. I switched back to SP2 by
restoring the disk files of the VM and it is working again.
I started investigating a switch from ACPI to noACPI, but it looks
like a difficult trick to perform on Windows.
Any suggestion anyone?

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it