Sophos Anti Virus

Kwan Lowe kwan at digitalhermit.com
Fri May 14 07:44:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Nermin Celik <n.celik00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At work the IT technicians are insisting on transfering me to Red Hat from
> FC12 due to "Anti Virus system. Sophos Anti Virus only supports Red Hat not
> Fedora". What does this mean? I'm new to Unix environment, and this is too
> technicial.

The Sophos AV client has a couple versions. There's an "on access"
scanner that requires a kernel module to be loaded . It scans all
files on access (when written, read, etc.). Sophos provides, after
some delay, modules for the major distributions including RedHat and
Suse. You can also build these modules if you have the correct kernel
development environment, but they do not provide the same level of
support for custom-built modules.

The other version is a command line scanner. It runs without a kernel
module but must be kicked off manually.

Redhat and Fedora are sufficiently different that kernel modules for
RedHat will not work on Fedora. In fact, if you update your kernel on
RedHat, you will also need to update the Sophos module.