how to 'rip apart' a rpm.

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sat May 15 16:03:56 UTC 2010

On 05/15/2010 11:22 AM, reg at dwf.com wrote:
> I want to look at the individual files in a src rpm.
> How do I 'rip it apart' ??

rpm -qpl src.rpm

should show you a list of the files in the RPM.  When you "install" it,
they get installed in your rpmbuild sandbox under:  SPECS and SOURCES
subdirectories.

> Doing an install doesnt seem to be the answer, It does something, but I
> have no idea where the bits and pieces are going.
> They are NOT in /usr/src/redhat nor in /root/rpmbuild.

You really shouldn't be playing with source RPMs as root.  Look in your
user RPM sandbox:

	/home/userid/rpmbuild  for your SOURCES and SPECS directories.

You can build/rebuild/edit/create RPMs in there.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net