how to 'rip apart' a rpm.

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Sat May 15 16:20:43 UTC 2010

On 05/15/2010 12:14 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> They are NOT in /usr/src/redhat nor in /root/rpmbuild.
>>
>> You really shouldn't be playing with source RPMs as root.  Look in your
>> user RPM sandbox:

  Whilst I agree we should be as careful w root as possible - if someone
is willing to install a binary rpm as root - how is that more secure
than building the source to the same package?

  I know in theory the build could execute scripts etc .. but ..

  Do we think redhat/fedora provide src rpm's which have things in them
(ie bad) that are not in the binary ? Or the other way round ? Or both ?

  Or are the concerns for non-fedora packages?