Why is ntp connecting with my wireless router?

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sat May 15 18:53:59 UTC 2010

From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, 2010/May/15 03:59

> On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 03:58 -0500, Scott Sibley wrote:
>> I'm having terrible internet lag at the moment, and I set out to try
>> and figure out what's causing it.
>> I just decided to check netstat, and noticed ntp connected to my
>> router. Any reason for this?
>
> If your router advertises a NTP service with its DHCP configuration
> data, your computer may use it.  I've done something similar (set my
> DHCP server to provide an address to a NTP server), and some clients do
> make use of it.  It's been ages since I looked into this, though.

More likely the router uses ntp as part of its configuration so that
the services it offers work properly. As a router service ntp will
open a port on the router. You should not see permanent connections
between your computer and your router with ntp. Ntp is a UDP service
not a service that "connects".

{o.o}