how to 'rip apart' a rpm.

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sun May 16 19:14:48 UTC 2010

reg at dwf.com wrote:
> I want to look at the individual files in a src rpm.  How do I 'rip
> it apart' ??

Many folks have pointed out rpm2cpio if you want to extract the
contents.  I prefer to use rpmdev-extract, from rpmdevtools.  It saves
me from remembering the cpio options.  Graphical tools like fileroller
can extract rpm contents as well.

> Doing an install doesnt seem to be the answer, It does something,
> but I have no idea where the bits and pieces are going.  They are
> NOT in /usr/src/redhat nor in /root/rpmbuild.

It's probably worth noting that there is no need to run rpm -ivh as
root for a source rpm.  IMO, doing so is something you should avoid.

Since rpm-4.6 (Fedora 10), rpm will create the needed ~/rpmbuild dir
for you as needed.  So running rpm -ivh some.src.rpm will place files
in that location for the user you have run it as.  By default, the
package spec file will be in the SPECS dir and source files will be in
SOURCES.

If that's not what you're seeing, you may want to post more details of
what you have tried and what Fedora release you are using.

Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same
side.
    -- Michael W. Smith